Friday, June 27, 2014

The best day ever!

Thursday (day 6) was pretty much the best day ever!!! We started the day with zip lining! When we were gearing up I have never been so excited and nervous at the same time! I was not as scared as I thought I would be. Miguel was our main guide. He was 100% Malecu (an indigenous tribe) who stood about 5ft and was nothing but pure muscle. It was slightly raining so it was hard to see very far and he told us the rain would make the zip lines faster. It was finally my turn and I had no clue what to expect. Miguel hooked me up and got into position...left hand on the wire behind my head, right hand in the front on my gear, ankles together and knees up. I took off! 

It was the most awesome thing ever!! Flying through the air in the middle of the forest canopy was a feeling I can't describe. It is absolutely the best way to see the forest! There were 9 zip lines total and a few were positioned where u would almost pass the person who had gone after you. When we got to the end Miguel said "last one" and there was a collective group sigh. We all had so much fun! When we were done Miguel took us to a hut to show us some of his culture. The way we said hi was to tap our fists on each other's shoulder and say "capi capi". The Malecu have the best philosophy on life. They believe that all people are the same except for the main difference of gender. We all have 2 eyes 2 ears and a heart and a mind. Everyone around the world is equal. Next was horseback riding. Of course they picked a shorter horse for me and I used a tree root to climb up. One of the horses slipped and one of the girls sorta went down with it but there were no injuries and she jumped back on like a pro. We rode about 30 minutes back to the stables which were across the street from where we started.

 All in all it was my favorite day of the trip so far!  I actually think I may have overcome my fear of heights. I wasn't scared at all walking across the platforms to the next line! This trip is so much more than I could have ever dreamed and I hope to continue to have as much fun as I did on this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment