Tuesday, July 8, 2014

San Jose

Once arriving in San Jose on our last day we checked back in to the place where it all started.

I could feel that our collective mood and energy was a bit low. I don't think any of us were ready to leave and it was starting to set in that we were going soon. We dropped off our stuff and headed downtown to purchase souvenirs. We soon realized that none of us thought of San Jose as our favorite. The main square was so crowded you could have mistaken in for Times Square if there weren't a million people selling Costa Rican football paraphernalia. We stopped and ordered our coffee grounds. Since they sell the beans but will grind and package it for you, we left the poor coffee people with our orders to grind. We headed a little farther downtown and saw the national bank and a few other important buildings. A few of us spotted a McDonalds, an ice cream shop and a bakery and went across the street to try any last minute foods we had missed. I got a mint chocolate chip ice cream cone which is nothing new but I wanted to say I ate one in another country. We headed back picked up our coffee and hit up the local souvenir place. It was set up much like craft shows usually are. One roof held many booths with one main walkway down the middle that had no doors at either end. Pretty much every booth had the same kinds of things. Coasters, boxes, key chains, shot glasses, coffee mugs, etc. Some had just t-shirts and tank tops. It was there I started a collection. I bought my first mini flag. Every county I go to I will collect a small flag to hang on a wall wherever I am living. If I have it my was there will be a room just for travel stuff. Backpacking gear, pictures, flags and souvenirs from each country I visit. Once all our souvenirs were bought we headed back to the hostel for one last family meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment